Whether you are the first responder or the lead investigator, this course will give you the knowledge and skills to thoroughly and professionally investigate any possible homicide situation.
We will show you the various types of homicides that you may encounter and common approaches to each. You will learn a systematic process for handling the crime scene, from the initial approach through scene documentation and evidence collection. And, you’ll see how the latest technology and forensic sciences can assist you in your investigation.
Beyond the crime scene, you’ll also learn about criminal profiling, interrogation techniques and how to handle the news media’s involvement.
• Death scene preservation
• Duties of the first officer on the scene
• Investigative procedures at the death scene
• Team approach to death investigations
• Autoerotic death investigations
• Causes and manner of death
• Time of death determination
• Criminal personality profiling
• Organized vs. disorganized crime scenes
• Death scene search techniques
• Handling the news media in death investigations
• Suicide investigations
• Homicide interrogation techniques
Audience: Patrol officers, newly assigned and seasoned detectives, investigations supervisors, crime scene technicians, medical examiner and coroner investigators, military investigative personnel - Class is restricted to sworn law enforcement officers and those personnel assigned directly to law enforcement agencies.
Course length: 40 hours
* For Florida Officers, IPTM's Homicide Investigation course qualifies for 40 hours of Salary Incentive Credit by the FDLE Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.