Advanced Traffic Crash Investigation
SECOND IN A SERIES OF THREE COURSES
Building upon the theories and techniques learned in IPTM’s At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course, this class will delve into the advanced concepts of traffic crash investigations.
More complex vehicle dynamics like acceleration/deceleration, factor, rate and airborne situations will be explored. You will learn to estimate speeds from falls, vaults, and flips and the calculation of kinetic energy and linear momentum. You’ll also learn to evaluate vehicle lamps, tires, and damage to help determine vehicle behaviors during the collision.
Much of the coursework will be spent using acceleration/deceleration factors and perception/reaction times to determine time/distance relationships for colliding vehicles.
• Speed estimates from kinetic energy, skidmarks, scuffmarks and airborne situations
• Vehicle dynamics and motion
• Time, distance, and motion equations
• Conservation of momentum equations
• Center of mass calculation
• Vehicle lamp examination
• Tire damage evaluation
• Vector sum analysis
Note: If are you registering for this course, please click here to print out the required questionnaire.
Prerequisite: You must have completed IPTM’s At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course or its equivalent.
Audience: Law enforcement and private traffic crash investigators, claims adjusters, engineers, attorneys, safety officers, military investigative personnel, animators and graphic designers
Course length: 80 hours
* For Florida Officers, IPTM's Advanced Traffic Crash Investigation course qualifies for 80 hours of Salary Incentive Credit by the FDLE Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.